Super moist,soft and loaded with chocolate chips,this delicious zucchini bread is slightly addictive.You will be asking for more!!
I had tried zucchini breads before but I never baked my own until today.With summer going on and the zucchini season at its best,it was about time to give it a go.You might have noticed it already but I absolutely love to put veggies in my cakes/pancakes.The use of veggies usually results in extremely moist recipes and increases your vegetable intake,all that without the taste of veggies.Check for instance theBest Ever Carrot Cake,theSkinny Carrot Muffins with Coconut Cream,theBeetroot Cake with Vanilla Frosting,and also someVegan Pink Beet Pancakes.All these recipes are sweet and super moist.
Zucchini recipes are everywhere on the web right now,and it seems that Americans are crazy about this veggie (or is it my slightly obsession with zucchini that makes me see them everywhere?).Actually,a few weeks ago I tried a healthy and gluten free chocolate chip zucchini muffin in my favorite coffee shop at the moment,,Reprise Coffee Roaster,located in Winnetka (a charming little town in the north of Chicago),and I was amazed by this little one.Everything was well balanced,with a delicious taste of light brown sugar,some delicious chocolate chip,and a wonderful moist texture.I savored each single bite wondering how I could bake the exact same one – or almost!!
In the end,I didn't go for zucchini muffins to share with you o the blog but for a zucchini bread instead.Breads are perfect to feed the family: they are generous and super simple to prepare.Pour the batter into the pan and it's ready for the oven!I re-baked myButtermilk Banana Breadfor my family last week and fell in love with the recipe again.Some of you have also tried myDouble Chocolate Greek Yogurt Banana Breadthat I posted lately.This recipe is also a keeper and you should definitely try them both,you will not regret it!!
It's now time for another kind of bread with zucchini.Although it of course doesn't taste like banana bread,you will find some similarities when trying the recipe,both in the preparation and in the texture.Here again I used Greek yogurt,which adds to the moist texture already brought by the shredded zucchini.The use of Greek yogurt also enables to use only one egg in the recipe,making it less rich.You will also find a subtle taste of cinnamon and nutmeg that enhances the whole flavor of the zucchini bread.
Now one word about the zucchini.If like me you feel a bit lazy with the idea of grating them for the recipe (it takes more time than just pouring some flour or sugar in the mixing bowl,right?),well don't feel that way.I was surprised myself by how easy and quick it is to grate the zucchini.One cup shredded zucchini is about one/one and a half medium zucchini,and zucchini are much softer than carrots to grate.While doing it myself,I actually felt like trying many more recipes with grated zucchini and made me wonder why I didn't try it earlier!!
It's summer and if there is one recipe for you to try,I would definitely go for this chocolate chip zucchini bread.It's incredibly flavorful and I'm pretty sure you will bake it again.Again,this recipe is a keeper!!
- 1½ cups (135g) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar,packed
- ½ cup (100g) caster sugar
- ½ cup (125g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) zucchini,shredded
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour,baking soda,baking powder,salt,cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl,whisk the egg,oil,both sugars,Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold gently.Do not over mix.
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 20 minutes.Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.